adidas privacy statement
INTRODUCTION AND SCOPE OF THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
We, adidas Australia Pty Ltd (adidas), a member of the adidas Group, want to give you the best adidas experience possible. We use the personal information you share with us to make our products and services and your experience even better. This privacy statement aims to give you a clear view of how we use personal information that you provide, our dedication to protecting it, your rights and the options you have to control your personal information and protect your privacy. It also outlines what personal information we collect about you when you visit our websites, stores or when you use our mobile apps, how we use your personal information and the third parties we will share it with. We use personal information for various purposes, as described in detail below.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM YOU
“Personal information” is any information about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. adidas will collect various types of personal information and special categories of personal information (such as health information) about you, including the following (as applicable):
ADIDAS GLOBAL SINGLE SIGN ON
If you sign up for an adidas account, which allows you to use the same sign in details anywhere in the world, we will ask for your name, e-mail address, date of birth and password.
YOUR ADIDAS ACCOUNT
adidas will also collect the following information when you sign up for an account if you choose to provide it: telephone number, gender, personal preferences, social identifier if you choose to log in to your account via social media and age or date of birth.
USE OF OUR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
When you use our products and services we will ask for personal information (at the moment of collection we will explain what information is required and what information you may choose to provide), such as:
- your postal address and payment details when ordering from our web shop;
- your date of birth and/or confirmation that you are above a certain age;
- your email-address when signing up for one of our contests, free prize giveaways ("Prize Giveaways") or newsletters;
- a record of our correspondence with you (including any feedback you have provided on any of our products or services), if you have been in contact with our Customer Service.
We offer a number of apps which allow you to upload and/or store certain information. Depending on the app, we will ask for personal information (we will explain what information is needed to offer the service and what information you may choose to provide so that we may understand your preferences), such as your:
- sport and health data (for example, workout start and end times, activity type, duration, pace, distance, calories, RunScore and speed);
- body measurements, such as weight, height and heart rate;
If you become a member of an adidas Community ("Member"), such as Front Row, we will ask for basic personal information (we will explain what information is required and what information you may choose to provide), such as:
- your name, e-mail address and date of birth.
Once you are a Member, you may choose to provide us with additional personal information, such as:
- your interests and preferences, through the relevant online Community "dashboard".
If you are a winner of any Prize Giveaways, we will ask for additional personal information, such as:
- your postal address, clothes or shoe size, in order to be able to send you the prize.
If we would like to promote the adidas Communities and Prize Giveaways and you are a winner of a Prize Giveaway, we will ask for additional personal information, such as:
- your City/Town; and/or
- your photograph.
If you choose to create an adidas account through your social network account (such as Facebook), your sign-on credentials will be imported via your social network account. Please note that when you use this "social sign-on" option, we will use the following personal information:
- your Facebook identifier
We will often also receive certain personal information (which you have agreed to be accessible on your public profile) via the social network, such as:
- your name, age, location, preferences, occupation, and other public profile information such as your pictures or your friends list on the social network, as well as your likes. This information will not be shared with adidas by Facebook if you have a private profile.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AUTOMATICALLY
We will also collect personal information about you when you interact with our brand, websites and apps, including how you use them, as follows:
- Websites: we will collect information about the adidas Group websites that you visit and how you use them. A visit to one of our websites results in data being sent from your browser to our servers. We will collect personal information in this way, such as:
- your IP address;
- the date and time of the visit and how long you remained on our website;
- the referral URL (the site from which the visitor has come);
- the pages visited on our website; and
- information about the device and browser (such as, browser type and version, operating system, etc).
- Location information: When you use a location-enabled service (for example an adidas running app), we will provide you a just in time notice to collect and process information about your actual location, for instance through GPS signals sent by a mobile device. We will also use various technologies to determine location, such as sensor data from your device that may, for example, provide information on nearby Wi-Fi access points, Near Field Communication ("NFC") points and mobile network cell towers. You can generally disable sending your location through settings in your device, and we will inform you when we make use of location information.
SOURCES OF INFORMATION
Most of the information we collect about you will be personal information that you have voluntarily provided to us, for example, through our websites, e-shops, mobile apps, in-store etc. Other sources from whom we may obtain your personal information include:
- our Point of Sale systems ([i.e. certain information may be collected about you when you make a purchase in one of our stores]);
- other adidas Group companies; and
- third parties (such as law enforcement/regulatory bodies, and companies providing commercially available databases etc.).
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
The personal information we collect when you create first sign in will be used for identification and authentication purposes across adidas services, so you can use the same account details to log in from any location and on any device. The global single sign on will allow adidas systems to identify you wherever you are in the world, meaning you will not need to register with us again if you are signing in from a different country.
In addition, adidas will create a profile for you with the information needed to provide you with our products or services. The personal information we collect from the above other sources listed above will be used in the format that it is received, or, where appropriate, will be combined with personal information we obtain from other internal or external sources. We use and analyse this personal information for the various other purposes detailed below:
- Improving our products and services: we will use your personal information to build a profile on you in order to understand how you use our products and services, to develop more interesting and relevant products and services, as well as to personalise the products and services we offer you.
- Processing your order: we use relevant personal information described above (including your name, address and payment details) to process and deliver your order, and to notify you of the status of your order. In addition, we may use your age, year of birth or confirmation that you are above a certain age to ascertain whether you meet the minimum age in your country for online purchases and whether you are considered to be a minor for data protection and/or marketing law purposes.
- Customer service: if you contact our Customer Service (or vice versa), we will use personal information such as your order information and contact history to process your request and provide you with the best service possible.
- adidas products and services, engagements and offerings: we will use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you have requested from us, such as promotions, membership of adidas Communities, adidas loyalty programs, events and our apps. This will, if applicable, include the use of your personal information for submission in contests, Prize Giveaways and promotions, using your contact details for events and using information like your location for our mobile apps (such as running apps).
- adi Program: if you choose to participate in the adi Program, we will use your contact details to send you a welcoming email to verify your username and password, to communicate with you in response to any inquiries and to send you service related announcements, for instance if the adi Program app is temporarily suspended for maintenance. We will also use your registration information to create and manage your account and to grant you rewards "badges" for your interaction, participation and/or loyalty. In addition, we will use any information you provide voluntarily to us in free text boxes to understand your preferences and to improve our products and services.
- Performance activities: if you choose to allow information regarding your performance activities through miCoach to be linked to your participation in the adi Program, we will use your personal information, including the results of your miCoach activities, to make automated decisions about you in order to reward you with badges, which you can use to redeem rewards based on your performance activity.
- adidas apps: if you choose to download an adidas app, we will only collect special categories of personal information if we have obtained your consent or as otherwise permitted by applicable law. Personal and sensitive personal information (such as health data) collected through the app will be collected from your device and stored on adidas servers for the following purposes:
- to provide you the services you expect when using the app;
- to analyse your performance activity for the purposes of granting you rewards based on your performance activity (if you have agreed to participate in a performance activity within the adi Program);
- for the reasons set out in the "improving our products and services" section below; and
- for the reasons set out in the "marketing purposes" section below.
- adidas Communities: as part of an adidas promotion, we will publish certain details of the winners of any Prize Giveaways on our website or one of our affiliate's or service provider's websites according to the terms and conditions of the particular promotion.
- Social sign-on (this means the use of your social network credentials such as your Facebook user login information to create and sign into your adidas account): when you use the social sign-on option adidas limit use of public profile information to that which is necessary for the creation of your adidas account. adidas will, upon receipt of any irrelevant information from the social network, discard such information. After having created your account, you will have the opportunity to supplement it with any information you would like to share with us, such as personal information you provide through a completed survey. Any supplemental information you provide to us will be used for the purposes explained in this statement, including to enrich your adidas profile and to personalise your adidas experience.
- Marketing: when you sign up to receive adidas newsletters, create an adidas single sign on become a Member of an adidas Community, use an adidas app, order or provide feedback on a product or service online or use our website, we will use your personal information to create a profile based on the information we hold about you. We create your profile in accordance with your preferences in order to provide you with the best personalised experience, to send you personalised marketing messages and newsletters and for opinion research purposes. Below you can find a more detailed description of the ways in which we will use your personal information for these purposes.
- What kind of information: the way you interact with our brand across all the different channels described above (e.g. the adidas website, apps, social media and marketing messages we send you) and the information we collect in that regard from each of these channels provides us valuable information about your interests and preferences. This insight gives us the opportunity to offer you the best adidas experience possible. To learn about you and your interests, we analyse your interactions with our brand using various kinds of information, as set out above. In particular, we may combine the information we collect with information collected by third parties. If you have given us your consent to send you marketing communications, we use the information that you have provided to us when interacting with us for sending you personalised marketing messages about adidas products or services, events, Prize Giveaways and promotions. In some instances we will also aggregate your personal information with that of other individuals, to create comprehensive reports about how customers use our products and services, and experience our brand.
- What kind of channels: we will send direct marketing communications to you via the channel you choose, such as email, phone, or social media. We ask for your consent, where required by applicable law, in order to use the contact details you have provided to us to send our personalised marketing communications.
- What kind of messages: the messages we will send you will be personalised and tailored to your individual preferences and interests. We use analytics in order to generate such personalised messages. These direct marketing messages may contain information about our products and services, events, Prize Giveaways or promotions and adidas news. We will, in certain circumstances, also use the channels for opinion research (such as to ask if you would like to participate in a survey) and to learn about your experience and improve your experience with adidas, including by sending you personalised messages.
- Re-targeting: our websites and apps use re-targeting technologies. This enables us to show our visitors, who were already interested in our shop and our products and/or services, advertisements from us on partner websites. We believe that the display of personalised, interest-based advertising is more interesting and relevant to our customers than advertising that does not have a personal connection. Re-targeting technologies analyse the information we collect about your interactions with each adidas platform as described in relation to marketing above, including your cookies, and display advertisements based on your past web-surfing behaviour. Please click here for further information on cookies and instructions on how to disable re-targeting. Note that our sites generally are not configured to respond to web browser do-not-track signals.
- Ads: we also work with non-adidas companies who use tracking technologies to serve ads on our behalf across the Internet. These companies may collect personal information about your visits to our websites or apps and your interaction with our communications, including advertising.
- Improving our products and services: we will use the personal information we hold about you (as well as pseudonymised or anonymised information generated from your personal information) to carry out analysis and research, including:
- data science/analytics, whereby we combine information (such as personal information and/or sensitive personal information we have obtained through the use of an adidas sporting app or from your browsing history) we hold on a large scale in order:
- learn more about our customers and their preferences;
- to identify patterns and trends amongst our customers;
- enhance user experience on our websites;
- provide information, content and offerings tailored to our customers' needs;
- for general research and statistical purposes; and
- for aggregated reporting purposes within the adidas Group;
- develop new products and services;
- monitor performance of our products and services and/or improve our technology;
- to be able to send you personalised marketing messages;
- to display online ads to you.
- Websites: personal information collected through our websites, such as via cookies or other tracking technologies, will be used to allow us to assess browsing behaviours on our websites, to understand where improvements can be made, to optimise our products and services and personalise and improve your experience on our websites and apps.
- Performance analysis: we will use your personal information (including by anonymising and aggregating it with other customers' personal information) for sales, supply chain and financial analysis purposes, to determine how adidas is performing and where improvements can be made and where necessary to report back to our parent or affiliate group companies.
- We will ask for your consent if we wish to use your personal information for purposes other than those listed in this privacy statement (unless such use is otherwise required or authorised by or under applicable law).
HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We treat your personal information with care and confidentiality and do not share it with third parties other than as set out below:
With other adidas Group entities
We will share limited personal information which you provide when you sign up (your name, email address, password and date of birth) with other adidas Group entities to enable the global single sign-on and for authentication purposes, so that you can use the same sign in information anywhere in the world and our systems will recognize your details.
We may share information we keep in your profile with other adidas Group entities if both entities are responsible for your personal information, or if the other entities are acting as our service providers and processing your personal information on our instructions or on our behalf.
We will also share your other personal information, as well as anonymised and aggregated information, with other adidas Group entities (such as adidas A.G., the parent company of the adidas Group, and/or other adidas entities as necessary). They will use this personal information for trend analysis.
With service providers
We will share limited the personal information you provide when you sign up for an adidas single sign-on (your name, email address, password and date of birth) with our cloud service providers for the purposes of identification and authentication, so that you can log on to your adidas account quickly and with the ease and speed you expect from us from anywhere in the world.
We will also share your personal information as necessary and only for the purposes described above with various third parties who process your personal information on our behalf, such as third parties that run our loyalty program and/or Prize Giveaways/competitions, hosting, delivery, payment and fraud management providers, and analytics platform providers. We require that these service providers and other third parties adhere to strict rules when processing your personal information, including to only use your personal information in accordance with adidas' instructions and the applicable laws.
WITH SOCIAL NETWORKS
Our website and apps will, in certain circumstances, provide you with social plug-ins from various social networks. If you choose to interact with a social network such as Facebook or Twitter (for example by registering an account), your activity on our website or via our apps will also be made available to that social network. If you are logged in on one of these social networks during your visit to one of our websites or apps or are interacting with one of the social plug-ins, the social network might add this information to your respective profile on this network based on your privacy settings. If you would like to prevent this type of data transfer, please log out of your social network account before you enter one of our websites or apps, or change the app's privacy settings, where possible. Please read the privacy policies of those social networks for detailed information about the collection and transfer of personal information, what rights you have and how you can maintain suitable privacy settings for your needs.
WITH LEGAL AND LAW ENFORCEMENT
adidas will disclose personal information where required by law or legal process, for the administration of justice, to protect your vital interest, for investigations by law enforcement or regulatory bodies, to protect and defend adidas' property and legal rights, to protect the personal safety of adidas website or (mobile) app users or by order of a valid injunction from a court or law enforcement agency.
OTHER THIRD PARTIES
We will share your personal information with other third parties (different from those described above, for example, sports or fitness centres or when you decide to connect our devices with third party devices) in other limited circumstances. In these instances we will, where required by applicable law, obtain your consent to share your personal information in this way.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We are committed to protecting your personal information and implement appropriate technical and organisational security measures to protect it against any unauthorised or unlawful processing and against any accidental loss, destruction, or damage.
RETAINING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will keep your personal information for two years from your last interaction with us, such as the date your account was deleted, your last purchase, the last time you used one of our apps or in some other way contacted or interacted, unless a longer or shorter retention period is required by law, is necessary in the course of legal proceedings or is otherwise needed for a particular purpose under applicable law.
The following are examples to illustrate how adidas keeps your personal information for as long as necessary for a particular purpose:
- we may keep your personal information collected during a purchase for as long as required by tax laws (longer than 2 years in some European countries);
- we may keep your personal information for a shorter period if you ask us to delete your personal information. In such a case, adidas will aim to delete your personal information within a maximum period of one month from the date of the request;
- information collected in connection with promotions will be kept for no longer than one month following the end of the promotion.
INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Unless stated otherwise, we store and process your personal information in Australia and the European Union (including Germany). There will, however, be occasions when we need to transfer your personal information outside of the European Economic Area ("EEA") to a country which does not provide the same level of data protection as the country in which you normally use our products and/or services. For example, the personal information you provide when you sign up for an adidas account will be stored in the European Union, and also by other adidas Group entities and our cloud services providers located outside the EEA for the purposes of authenticating your account and signing you in. In these circumstances we will take appropriate steps to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected. Typically, such steps include carrying out data security reviews of any recipients and putting in place contracts with such recipients to ensure they employ the same or similar appropriate technical and organisational measures as adidas, so your data is adequately protected.
INFORMATION ABOUT CHILDREN
As a general rule, we do not intentionally collect personal information about children under the age of 15. If we become aware that we have inadvertently collected personal information about children under the age of 15, we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible, except where we are required by applicable law to keep it.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES AND SERVICES
Our websites may contain links to third party websites, and some of our services provide you with access to third party services (such as social networks). We have no control over how third party websites and services process your personal information. We do not review third party websites and services, and we are not responsible for such third party websites and services or their privacy practices. Please read the privacy statements of any third party websites or services that you access from our websites or services.
YOUR RIGHTS IN RELATION TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Fair play and transparency are important to us. We are open about the personal information we collect and have implemented mechanisms to enable you to exercise any rights you might have with respect to your personal information.
ACCESS AND CORRECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you have ordered products or services or registered an account with us, you can access a significant amount of your personal information through one of our websites. Our websites generally present you with the option to add, update or remove information we have about you
If any personal information we have about you is not accessible through our website, you can send us a request for access to this information at no cost using the contact details set out at the end of this privacy statement.
After receiving your request and sufficient information to verify your identity we will provide you with access to the personal information we have about you which you are entitled to access under applicable law.
You may write to us at any time requesting amendments to certain personal information that you consider to be incorrect or irrelevant or to request that we block, erase or otherwise remove your personal information. We will update, block, erase or remove your personal information upon request if required under applicable law.
OPTING OUT AND UNSUBSCRIBING FROM MARKETING MESSAGES
All our marketing communications contain an easy way to opt out from receiving future messages, such as a link through which you can unsubscribe. You may also opt out for particular channels (for example email or SMS) as indicated in the message received in such channel or through your adidas account settings.
If you would like to opt out of receiving adidas marketing messages you may use the unsubscribe link contained in the messages you have received, or alternatively you could contact our:
Customer service department
Online at http://www.adidas.com.au/contact.html
Data Protection team
by E-mail at: dataProtection@adidas-Group.com
Note that if you choose to opt out of receiving marketing messages in the manner explained above, we may continue to process your personal information, in particular to allow us to understand your interests and preferences, but we will stop using your personal information to send you personalised or non-personalised marketing messages.
Please note that some of our mobile apps might also send you messages, including (if you have given your permission to do so) push messages, for instance about new products or services. In this case, the particular mobile app will provide just in time notices before we send you push notifications. You can disable these messages through the settings in your phone or the app, or choose to uninstall the app to stop receiving the messages.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
adidas has pledged to adhere to the fundamental principles of privacy and data protection. We therefore regularly review our online privacy statement in order to ensure that it is free of errors and clearly visible on websites, that it contains appropriate information about your rights and our processing activities, and that it is implemented and is compliant with applicable law. We may update this privacy statement from time to time to keep it up to date, to keep pace with new developments and opportunities relating to the Internet and to stay in line with applicable law. If we make significant changes to this privacy statement, we will inform you by posting a notification on our websites and/or mobile apps along with an updated version of the privacy statement
Please contact us (using the contact details below) if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which adidas has collected or handled your personal information. adidas will inquire into your complaint and respond to you in writing within 30 days. If you are not satisfied with our response, you can contact us to discuss your concerns or lodge a complaint with the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).
If you have any questions about our use of your personal information, how to exercise your rights or about our privacy statement you are welcome to contact us at:
Online at http://www.adidas.com.au/contact.html
DATA PROTECTION TEAM
if you prefer to contact us by regular mail, please send your request to the following address:
adidas Australia Pty Ltd
Level 1, 37 Dunlop Road,
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT COOKIES
FIRST OF ALL… WHAT ARE COOKIES?
Cookies are small text files that are stored on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. For this section, we conveniently use "cookies" as an umbrella term for techniques such as cookies, Flash cookies and web beacons. They don’t take much space and they will be removed automatically when expired. Some cookies expire at the end of your internet session, while others will be saved for a limited amount of time.
SECONDLY… WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT COOKIE TYPES WE USE?
There are different types of cookies with different uses. Some are there just to allow you to browse the website and see certain features. Some give us an idea on your browsing experience, i.e. when you have trouble finding what you are looking for, so we can improve and make your future visit as pleasant as possible.
Cookies set by adidas are called "first party cookies". Cookies set by parties other than us are called "third party cookies". Third party cookies enable third party features or functionality to be provided on or through the website (e.g. like advertising, interactive content and analytics). The parties that set these third party cookies can recognise your computer or mobile both when it visits the website in question and also when it visits certain other websites. We use first party and third party cookies for several reasons.
The most important cookies are the required cookies. They are essential and help you to navigate on the website and to use basic features, such as media plugins. Then there are functionality cookies that enable you to save your shopping bag, create a wish list and to save your shipping details for a quicker checkout. The performance and analytics cookies we use to improve our website. We also like to show you relevant offers. To manage this we collect browsing data, which may be linked to a unique identifier to allow us to understand how you interact with adidas across different platforms as described in our privacy statement (click here for our privacy statement). Interaction cookies are used for you to interact with social media or to submit reviews. Targeting cookies, advertising cookies and social media cookies capture your preferences in order to show you relevant ads outside adidas sites. In addition, social media cookies may be used to track your activity over social media platforms.
- REQUIRED COOKIES
- FUNCTIONALITY AND ANALYTICS COOKIES
- ADVERTISING AND SOCIAL MEDIA COOKIES
are essential and help you navigate, move around on the website and see certain features (e.g. these cookies make sure your basket is saved during all the steps of your checkout process). These cookies are required to enable core site functionality. These cookies are stored for the duration of your browsing session.
are there so we can give you an even smoother customer experience (e.g. these cookies help you to save and remind you about your shopping bag and enable you to create a wish list). These cookies allow us to analyse site usage so we can measure and improve performance. These cookies may be placed by us or a third party on our behalf (see our cookie opt-out tool) and are stored for the duration of your browsing session.
- will remember your product and buying preferences or assist marketing efforts in other ways. These cookies enable us to share data, such as what you like, with our advertisers, so the advertisement you see can be more relevant to your preferences (sometimes referred to as "targeting cookies").
- help us to understand shopping behaviour of visitors. This enables us to keep improving our website, so shopping becomes easier and more pleasant, and to improve the marketing messages we send to our customers (sometimes referred to as "performance cookies").
- are used for you to express your opinion. These cookies will enable you to like or recommend us on social media and to chat with our service agents. But you can also advise our other (potential) customers by rating and reviewing our products (sometimes referred to as "interaction cookies").
WHAT IF YOU DON’T LIKE COOKIES?
You can change your browser settings to delete or prevent certain cookies from being stored on your computer or mobile device without your explicit consent. The ‘help’ section in your browser should provide information on how to manage your cookie settings. Find out how this works for your browser here:
Mozilla Firefox: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Cookies
Adobe (flash cookies): http://www.adobe.com/privacy/policies/flash-player.html
Note that you may visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices or http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/ to learn about the options that some of the third parties we work with offer for opting out of certain ad targeting activities. You will need to visit those websites from each browser and device that you would like to be covered by your opt-out. Because the opt-out tools may depend on cookies, you may need to visit these sites again to reinstate your preferences if you delete your cookies.
Notwithstanding any other provision, we may also engage a third party service provider who may combine your information with information from other; and may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser for the purpose of identifying users and delivering to them interest-based content and advertisements. To opt-out of third party cookies, please visit RTB House.
HOW OFTEN WILL YOU UPDATE THIS COOKIE STATEMENT?
The date at the top of this Cookie Statement indicates when it was last updated.
FINALLY…WHERE CAN I GET FURTHER INFORMATION?
LAST UPDATED: 10.01.2018
 adidas Group is formed by adidas AG (Adi-Dassler-Straße 1, 91074 Herzogenaurach, Germany) and its affiliate entities including adidas Australia Pty Ltd, Level 1, 37 Dunlop Road, Mulgrave, Victoria, 3170, Australia.